Ford Focus RS Forum banner

I saw a 2018 RS and It's Race Red!

53K views 255 replies 115 participants last post by  bossjbrs 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

TLDR: 2 weeks ago, I found out that there is a 2018MY RS, that it’ll be a limited edition and come in Nitrous Blue or Race Red. They also have LSDs standard. I’ve been itching to tell you guys ever since and I finally can. (those random posts and smiley faces on comments now make more sense, huh?)

On April 27 I got a rather cryptic e-mail from Ford Performance asking me about some renderings I had done of the RS in Race Red back in August of 2015, and requesting my number for a quick phone call. I was confused, but of course gave my number and a few minutes later got a call. I was told that the Focus Brand Team had seen the renderings as they always keep their ear to the ground, and they wanted to invite me out for an event at Hoonigan HQ in Park City to meet Ken Block and go on a private tour. My response was exactly what you would expect, “let me ask my wife.”

When I looked at the calendar it occurred to me the timeframe was the week before our first wedding anniversary… but she told me I could go as long as I promised to take pictures and get her Ken Block’s autograph. I shot Ford back an e-mail letting them know that I was in as long as I was back in time for my anniversary. I of course mentioned that my wife was incredibly jealous.
Fast forward a week and I get another e-mail, “We had a spot open up, Is Susan still interested in coming?”. I didn’t even ask her, just replied back with “Of course!!!!”. I told her later and got to be an awesome husband.

Blah Blah… we went to Utah.

So the day finally came for the tour. There were 5 of us total, Ben, Josh, Ron, Susan and I. We all had suspicions something was up, but weren’t sure what. We started lunch at one of Ken Block’s favorite restaurants, Billy Blanco’s. That place is amazing, cars everywhere, shop rags for napkins. Truly legit and makes me want to redecorate my house. During lunch we were given NDAs and releases to use our image and were told the tour would be filmed. Ok… something is definitely up. As we ate, Ron overheard one of the Ford reps say something about a reveal.

After lunch we made our way over to the Hoonigan HQ. We piled out of the van and into the entry way and knocked on the door. Ken Block opens it to greet us, along with a full camera crew. We took the tour, we saw a few cars, and then they said “but there’s two more”. We were led over to two strangely familiar shapes under covers and told to help remove the covers. So we did. What did we see but two 2018 Focus RSs, one in Nitrous Blue and one in Race Red. Both with black roofs, wings, and mirrors. The rest… is history and in the video.

See less See more
#193 ·
OK, here's how I think all this went down:

Ford Engineers: That system we worked on with GKN has really been a great innovation to use AWD rear torque vectoring to mitigate front-driven torque steer, improve the ability to balance the car on track, and maximize cornering grip! Ok, so the RDU gets toasty on occasion and the front end differential braking has to work a bit, but see how awesome it is! Aren't you proud of us?

Ford Accounting: But we encouraged Quaife to make all these LSDs so they can be sold through Ford Perfomance and Mountune. The ST ppl haven't been biting on them nor all those CF trim bits we had made.

Ford Marketing: OK, so we'll just put them in the final run of the RSs while we use up all the other RS-specific stuff we bought, call it "limited edition," and charge more! (Just to be sure people know it's different, we need another color. Accounting told us Purchasing bought too much of that Race Red, just don't tell the Ford Design ppl, they won't like us mixing it with the RS blue accents) Win-Win!

Dealers: Yes!! More ADMs!! :fist pump:

#196 ·
I can give my lsd experiences in fwd and rwd cars.

In both, the straight line traction is pretty much doubled. In a rwd, it's much easier to rotate the car. Both on the gas and when decelerating.

In a lightweight powerful fwd car a good tight lsd is a blast. But it can create some issues. Mostly corner exit push as you put the power down. Mashing the throttle mid corner could even result in both front wheels spinning and sever understeer. But it's predictable. Feed power in early and use it to pull the car straight.

In our cars though, with front brake vectoring and the rear rdu... I can only guess.

I'd guess that the front would behave similar to a fwd. probably easy to induce push on exit. But it could even affect turn in too. As both wheels will be engine braking, taking away from their ability to turn the car.

All conjecture about our cars, though.

Reactions: jad and fourZero
#199 ·
At least in my head, this car would be absolutely stellar with -2.5* camber up front, -2.0* rear, front LSD, and rear WL swaybar to offset any LSD induced understeer. I also want to upgrade to coilovers at some point. But as you mentioned, I can only bank on prior experience and what I perceive as weaknesses with this car's handling.

I went through 3 front swaybars on my GD, 3 spring rates on the front, 4 on the rear, and 2 rear swaybars. I'm sure I'll get this suspension dialed in to my liking as well. Will be an interesting learning experience for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#198 ·
Lulz at the idea of shipping your car back to Germany from Sydney just to try for sub 8 minute laps.

#205 ·
Hay, @fourZero Which coilovers should I buy?

/me runs away

Reactions: fourZero
#207 ·
Yeah I'm holding out for ohlins now.

That thread was successful. We all know what's out there now and what could be coming.

Reactions: fourZero
#210 ·
#211 ·
IMHO- they needed to make the Limited Edition in their "military grade aluminum". Hell for that matter All the RS's should have been. That would save some weight.

#215 ·
I got my 17 like 45 days ago and they had it under msrp and I got mine for 38,000 witch I thought was great seeing in TX they're selling some for 10k over MSRP!!! crazy!

you know the 18's will be a higher cost than the 16-17 MSRP because its "limited"

I'm really glad I got mine when I did.

#216 ·
I bet you are! We initially ordered a my17 RS in October 2016, and by February it hadn't arrived when we canceled our order. I would have been SO pissed if we had taken delivery of a car we ordered for above msrp if just a couple months later that same car was new on the lot for 10000 under msrp! That puts all early 2017 owners upside down on their value. If I had an RS today I'd owe more on it as a used vehicle than I could buy a new one for. Lame-o.

We backed out of our purchase because although we want everything it has to offer, we NEED a car we can drive daily without having lengthy repairs and head-scratching over parts. I had been reading what so many of the forum members posted and I didn't want to be in that boat. I'm kind of disappointed that Ford spent more time developing a limited edition than solving existing issues with the model before they drop it. Some people have RSs that could almost qualify as :lemo:

#218 ·
The one I ordered may have never had a single issue, but if I were driving it today (assuming I had taken delivery...) I would still owe about 45k when an identical new one on the lot is 37k.

If I had one on order right now that I was waiting on, I'd cancel the order and buy one off the lot.

#221 ·
Anywhere within 500 miles of here they are either still trying to get ADM or selling at MSRP. I haven't heard of any actual discounting going on, nor have I run into anyone that can prove they got it under sticker.

#223 ·
^Congrats on the order! Blue or Red?
We'll all be waiting anxiously to hear if the front posi makes any improvement on track times

#227 ·
Congrats too!!!! (I bet its NB) I have an alert at my dealer but on the fence if I actually buy the 2018, I love my 2016 SG! If they made a Magnetic Gray One, well then I would jump in with both feet!!

Reactions: ControlNode
#232 ·
What other options are there? Cup tires, sunroof?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#234 ·
#231 ·
To me, there should be an option to stop off at the Mountune shop on the way to the ships. And if they are adding an LSD, they might as well upgrade the clutch and gearbox.

#239 ·
Can anyone confirm that production starts July 31st? I can't believe I am going back through this whole process again :apathy:

#240 ·
What is your order status? Clean, Selected for Schedule.... you know the steps.

#244 ·
Oh yeah I am now beginning to remember the process... I am selected for scheduling :)

#247 ·
Really depends on the trade in value. In my state you pay the taxes on the difference. So if I get 10k doing a trade of my car I don't have to pay taxes on that 10k.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.